Saturday, January 24, 2009

The body electrified.

I have a guilty pleasure, and that is erotic thrillers. Perhaps my favorite is Crash, the older version based on the book.

What is sexy to me about this moving is the erotic and artful combination of flesh and machinery. I find the intersection of the human body and technology erotic and exhilarating. Flesh, electricity, a curious juxtaposition. Perhaps this is why some of my favorite toys are technology. The Tens, the violet wand. The gentle and then biting electricity. Sounds, tenaculums.

The vibrator was invited in the late nineteenth century in order to allow doctors to pass on the work of the genital massage for the female patient. Lacking real knowledge (or ignoring such) of the role of the clitoris, genital massage was thought good science to release women's neurotic energy. Thus, the vibrator fell from the ranks of good medical science and into the hands of perverts. I use the word pervert lovingly.

The body intersects with the scientific, the inventions. That intersection is erotic.

No comments: